On Friday, I saw on the internet a funny card saying “Wohoo it’s Friday! Oh wait… I’m a mother”. I really made smile and realise how true it is. As much as I love my kids and spending time with them, weekends are definitely not the same restful weekends we used to have before parenthood. With 2 kids of 1 and 3, weekends are made of endless laundry, folding clothing, cleaning, groceries… And each monday, with a teacher from the day care, we joke how my weekend is actually starting the monday morning in my office with my coffee!
But you know what? I would not trade my life for anything, This is all worth it and as for the tiredness, add a little sweetness with those vanilla shortbread balls!
So buttery and nutty in your mouth, you can NOT eat just one!
Enjoy and have a wonderful week!
- 50g of almond powder
- 50g of hazelnut powder
- 250g of flour
- 50g of sugar + a cup
- 1 pinch of salt
- 200g of soft butter
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 table spoon of vanilla powder
- 1 tea spoon of vanilla extract
- In a bowl, mix the dry ingredients: almond and hazelnut powders, flour, sugar and salt.
- Mix it.
- Add the butter previously cut in pieces and then the egg yolks.
- Add the vanilla extract
- Mix it and work the dough so it becomes a ball and the ingredients are mixed together and hold. It will not look smooth.
- Shape it as you wish. I found that making little balls is easier as it is very fragile when it comes out of the oven.
- Bake it in a warm oven at 190C for about 10-12 minutes.
- Let it cool down and toss it in the cup of sugar that you have previously mix with the vanilla powder
Edit (May 2014): Sorry for the mistake in the recipe, I have written aveline powder but aveline is in French and I was so sure you could say it in English too! It is hazelnut! Silly me.
I buy hazelnut and put them in the food processor. No need to peel them.