I would probably go with the French title but you would be wondering what fancy French dish is that, well it is a Shepherd pie my dear! 🙂
It’s a perfect purée… ok fine I’ll stop speaking French ahah! Where was I? Oh yes, it’s a perfect mashed potatoes with the mix of a nicely flavored ground beef. Garlic, onions and green onions. Simple. So we taste the meat. Really, no covering the taste, just enhancing it.
Of course, you’ll add tons of cheese on top because everybody will love it even more.
You can present the way you would like. I found that with young kids, they love to have their little portion in ramekins. It make them feel grown-up to have a mini dish just for them.
The version in an oven dish works as well too. It brings the family together around a yummy and easy dinner. Comforting too! I mean, have you seen that weather outside? Don’t you want a blanket and go sit on the couch? Go! I’ll bring you that little baby ramekin.
I wish I could spoil you like that. For now, I share the easy-peasy steps to the recipe. It’s a no fail.
As you may see, there is no peas, carrots or corn. So not being Canadian or America, I am not too sure what a classic Shepherd pie would be but for sure in France, this is a hachi parmentier.
This recipe was actually a request of Mini-Superman. When my Mom was visiting this summer she made some for the kids and since then, he has been asking for the “viande hâchée” of Mamie. It’s so sweet. He entered the kitchen and said “Mmhh it smells like when Mamie was here”.
Now. How heart-melting is that? You tell me. I called my Mom right away. It melted hers too.
Love DOES come the kitchen!
For an oven dish 15-inch x 10-inch
- - 1 table spoon of olive oil
- - 1 shallot, minced
- - 4 garlic cloves, minced
- - 2 tablespoon of green onion
- - 600g of ground beef
- - Salt to taste
- - 4 cups of boiled potatoes
- - 1/2 of a cup of milk
- - 1 tablespoon of butter
- - Salt to taste
- - 1 to 2 cups of grated cheddar
- - In a hot pan, pour the olive oil, the shallot, garlic and onion. Let it become golden. Add the ground beef and crumble it as it cooks until there is no more pink. Salt to taste.
- - Set aside.
- - In a bowl, put the warm boiled potatoes, the milk and the butter. Mash with a potato masher. Add salt to taste.
- In an oven dish, make a layer with half of the mashed potatoes. Make another layer with the ground beef and finally cover with the rest of the mashed potatoes.
- Spread the grated cheddar on top.
- Place in the oven for 15-20 minutes at 375F or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.